Thursday, July 21, 2022

Been Meaning to Wryte...

Last month, I told myself I was going to post on July 1st to wryport on the first six months of wrytirement. That it is three weeks past this "deadline" is a perfect example of what being without a rigid schedule is like for me. I'll do it later...tomorrow...next week...next month...never...

One exception, with this blazing hot weather, I have been walking Frankie around our subdivision first thing in the morning, which is approximately 8:00 a.m. for us. We do the mile of main road, inlets, and cul-de-sacs, plus add another third of a mile crossing over into an adjoining subdivision. Speaking of exercise, I also suffer through 40 minutes on my recumbent bike every day, pedaling close to eight miles without leaving the basement. This is supposedly the equivalent of nearly16,000 steps. No wonder I'm drenched in sweat when the fun 40 minutes end. 

After it sat motionless for several years, I started using the bike again in April. During the months of April and May, following a near starvation (for me) diet, I lost about ten pounds. While this sounds good--and I'm not saying it's not--the truth is that a holiday weight gain added to a few Covid pounds had me in a very tubby situation. Thus, I'm at a "normal" (for me) weight and I don't have to buy new clothes after all!

Yes, I had many home improvement and decluttering projects on my wrytirement list. While I have completed some, others seem to be ongoingly stuck in the mud. In April, Mr. W brought down a number of boxes and several large items from the garage attic, many of which had been placed there when we moved into this house 32 years ago. Did we really believe that McDonaldland, Pizza Hut, and Care Bear collectible glasses were going to be so valuable in the future that we squirreled away two dusty, automotive-filmed cartons full of them? UHG... The only thing we should have collected and saved was our money! 

Ditto regarding Avon beer steins and Hallmark ornaments. And don't get me started on Beanie Babies, although most of those (more than 100) were from my mom. It is hard to let go of things that you'd think would be "worth something," but are not. 

Pathetically, I have no new hobbies or activities to report yet, unless watching Jeopardy every day at 4:30 p.m. counts. Occasionally, I correctly answer the final Jeopardy question. Whoo-hoo! If it weren't for history, geography, classical composers, Greek mythology, astronomy, Dutch artists, WW II heroes, the U.S. Constitution, current musical artists, international organizations, and similar categories, I could possibly get a lot more correct answers throughout the show and final Jeopardy. Just sayin'

One thing I was not expecting about retirement was that time would go by so fast. For not doing anything of significance, I can't believe how fast the weeks have flown by, a lot faster than when I was working. Thus, I conclude and recommend, if you want your life to seem longer, work in an office.  

Something I was expecting was that not working would cure my insomnia, but it hasn't. Still have nights when I can't get to sleep or stay asleep. The good news is that Frankie and I are available for a 5:00 p.m. nap, right after Jeopardy... 

No comments: